Cambodia: Historical Documents
The documents below are from an archive of speeches, reports, and articles about conditions in Cambodia, and issues relevant to refugees.
Other articles can be found in different sections of the site. There are several entries in the General Articles section. Opinion pieces and essays can be found on the Essays page, and biographies and oral histories are listed in the Oral Histories section. There are also several reviews of books about Cambodia in the Book Review area, and several trip journals and travelogues in the Travel section. A few articles are listed in more than one section.
A complete list of all pages and articles on this site can be seen on the Site Map page. If you are having difficulty locating information on a particular topic, you might want to use this site's Search feature.
- Address to the Nation on the Situation in Southeast Asia
The text of Richard Nixon's televised address to the U.S. public, announcing the invasion of Cambodia by U.S. and South Vietnamese forces, April 30, 1970.
- Stretching Out the Unravelling: Cambodia 1973
The transcript of a July 1973 Washington Special Actions Group meeting regarding the bleak situation facing the Lon Nol government.
- "They Are Murderous Thugs, But We Won't Let That Stand in Our Way"
A memorandum describing a conversation between Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and Thai Foreign Minister Chatichai Choonhavan, from November 26, 1975.
- Memorandum For The President, May 10, 1976
A declassified memo to President Gerald Ford, describing conditions inside Cambodia one year after the Khmer Rouge takeover.
- Excerpts: Address by Norodom Sihanouk, Before the United Nations General Assembly, September 30, 1982
A partial transcript of comments by Norodom Sihanouk, delivered before the UN, regarding the Vietnamese invasion and occupation of Cambodia.
- Kampuchea: A Demographic Catastrophe
A 1980 report prepared by the United States Central Intelligence Agency, analyzing the demographic impact of the Khmer Rouge regime.
- Khmer Rouge Abuses Along The Thai-Cambodian Border
A detailed report prepared by Human Rights Watch (Asia Watch) in early 1989, describing conditions in the refugee camps along the Thai-Cambodian border.
- United Nations: Report of the Special Representative
of the Secretary-General on the situation of human rights in
A report by Mr. Thomas Hammarberg, the UN's Special Representative of the Secretary-General for human Rights in Cambodia.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Report on Assistance to Cambodia
A February 1998 UN report on the UN's role in human rights advocacy in Cambodia.
- United Nations Report on Summary Executions in Cambodia
An August 1997 report prepared by the Cambodia Office of the United Nations Centre for Human Rights.
- On the Third Anniversary of the Murders
A speech by opposition leader Sam Rainsy, delivered three years after several demonstrators were killed in a grenade attack on a rally in Phnom Penh.